It started with a Kangaroo scrotum and ended with an amber alert, this week’s social media round-up also includes cupcakes, Irish sayings, and prawn edamame. Here are six things:
1. The Kangaroo Scrotum came all the way from Australia via a friend who is travelling there for the first time.
2. Cupcakes. Heather and Lori are the Cupcake Girls and their reality show is a phenomenon in the city. On Thursday, carts of cupcakes miraculously appeared in the office, pushed by men and women in 80s style suits reminiscent of a Robert Palmer video.
3. 6am at the Pacific Centre. I thought people were camped out overnight for an Apple product. However, people braved the night to get a peek at Maison Martin Margiela’s new collection.
4. The Irish. I didn’t realize how funny Irish saying were until I started working with Scottish and Irish expats. I’m hoping the hilarity continues.
5. Amber Alert. Three-year-old Alvin Barnett’s face and alert was all over Vancouver on Thursday, the day he went missing. He was found in Montana and is now safely with authorities.
6. Prawn Edamame Recipe. One delicious looking gluten free recipe that we tried during the week:
Required: 1-lb bag frozen shelled edamame, 2-lbs raw peeled shrimp (thawed), 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp ground black pepper, 1 tbsp kosher salt, 1 tsp smoked paprika
1. Heat oven to 450F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2. Heat edamame in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Pour off any liquid and add to the baking sheet.
3. Add shrimp to the baking sheet and drizzle oil over them. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika.
4. Mix everything together until well coated. Spread evenly over the pan. Roast for 5 minutes. Turn the shrimp and roast for another 2-3 minutes until shrimp is pink and firm. Serve immediately.